Sunday, May 22, 2011

Paul Winfield

Paul Winfield born 22 May 1939 (d. 2004)

Paul Edward Winfield was an Academy Award-nominated American television and film actor. Winfield was openly gay in his private life, but remained discreet about it in the public eye.

Winfield was born in Los Angeles, California. He first became well-known to audiences when he appeared for several years opposite Diahann Carroll on the US television series Julia. He also starred as Martin Luther King, Jr. in the 1978 miniseries King. In 1973, he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 1972 film Sounder, becoming the third African American to ever earn a nomination for a leading role, after Dorothy Dandridge and Sidney Poitier. Though it should be noted that Sounder co-star Cicely Tyson was also nominated that year for a leading role, for Best Actress. He appeared in the 2003 Disney-produced television remake of Sounder. Winfield played the part of 'Jim the Slave' in Huckleberry Finn (1974) which was a musical.

Winfield also starred in more recent miniseries, including Roots: The Next Generations, Queen: The Story of an American Family and Scarlett.

Winfield gained many fans for several of his brief but memorable roles in science fiction TV programs and movies. He was Captain Clark Terrell in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and a friendly but crusty cop partnered with Lance Henriksen in The Terminator. On the small screen, he appeared as General Richard Franklin, father of regular character Dr Stephen Franklin, on Babylon 5 and as an alien captain in a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode. He also provided voices on the cartoons Spider-Man, The Magic School Bus, Batman Beyond, and The Simpsons, on the latter voicing the Don King parody Lucius Sweet. He was 'The Mirror' on the TV show The Charmings (1987-1988). He also played the long-lost father of Harriette Winslow and her sister Rachel Crawford on Family Matters. At the time of his death, he was a narrator for the A&E show City Confidential.

He was nominated for an Emmy Award for his performance in the King and Roots: The Next Generations. He won an Emmy Award, in 1995, for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series, for his appearance in an episode of the CBS drama Picket Fences.

Throughout his career, Winfield frequently managed to perform in the theatre. His only Broadway production, Checkmates, in 1988, co-starring Ruby Dee, was also the Broadway debut of Denzel Washington. He also appeared in productions Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.

Winfield died of a heart attack in 2004; he was 64. His long-time partner of 30 years, architect Charles Gillan Jr., preceded him in death in 2002.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

Advantage Term Papers – We do it your way

10:31 am  
Blogger Dee Dee said...

Apologies that this comment is not related to the artist represented in your well written article. I followed a link here regarding Jermaine Stewart as he was one of the tracks I had played at my wedding reception, and I enthused about the song ethics regarding my then to be husband, but at the time boyfried only. I was not aware Jermaine was gay or had died from an AIDS related complication. Ironically whilst pregnant in 1985/6 after Princess Diana Spencer was shown to be kissing a man in hospital sufferring from HIV/Full blown AIDS I had approached the Terence Higgins Trust about being a buddy, as I felt that it would be a prominent message if only to family and ignorant straight friends about acknowledging HIV was real, but to try and remove some of the stigma by buddy pre and post natally with my daughter. Both her godfathers are openly gay and she only has one godmother-usually it's the other way around depending on the sex of the baby/ At 18 I worked in an artiste representation company in Islington, and as not much trvenue was vrought in by actors auditioning and gaining roles, the bigger sideline to keep the business rolling was a way back in the day female impersonator circuit. I remember taking my parents to The Vauxhall Tvern on a Sunday to see The Trollettes for Mothers day in an original 50's OTT wonderful dress (no idea what happened to a lot of my clothes from then). The company I worked for closed down and I moved i with a drag act and dressed the act extensively from theron for a very long time (Top Two-would love to get back in touch with Mark Maguire who I lived with). Sadly aside from thi extensive gay social network, I also worked for an inner London primary school and the deputy head was gay and a very dear friend of mine. He held a party and I made several friend, however, the treatment options for the HIV virus had not evolved as it has in subsequent years, ad I rmember several phon calls to catch up with these lovely guys, only to be told they had passed away. It's hard and unfair that people contracted the virus before it was well publicised and were walking around like ticking timb bombs. I was very sad and at times devastated. Thank you for a brilliant page, I have subscribed.
The only reason I was going to leave a comment was to enquire as to why you had not listed the wonderful Russell Tovey who went to Shenfield High (as did my daughter) and lived in Billericay (as did we). He is openly gay, an actor and extremely fabulous so here's a wiki link if you feel he should be inbluded> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Tovey
Lovng you blog and have nothing but admiration for you in raising awarfeness. I am bisexual and my youngest son is openly gay, my eldest daughter is also bisexual. IT IS impotant that I tell them all the same as HIV may have improved in it's treatment capacity, but it is not a day thing and is spreading amongst the straight population out of sheer "I'm safe as I a straight" attitude therefre isolating it still as a so called 'gay disease', Ridicukous. You are noy sleeping with the one person you are with on the night, but the whole pyramid of who they have slept with and those other people's relevant partners.
I LOVE yhour blog, and I congratulate you on it. I am not going to read this through as even with my glasses I am undergoing cancer related treatment so apologies for any typo's. Please keep up the good work and consider adding Russell Tovey to your list :)
Love and Light xxx

6:45 pm  
Blogger Dee Dee said...

Hi Peter. Please accept my sincere apologies I know there are a zillion typos but I felt I ought to clarify when I typed regarding HIV "but it is not a 'day' thing" whe word day was a rather important accidental typing error and should have read 'gay' I actually meant it is solely not a gay thing. I remember back in the early 80's gay guys were used as scapegoays and straight (some allegedly LOL) male to remale couple's almost heralded and put on a pedestal. I found that despivable and overtly offensive. The press was crammed with headlines and features with all the church vicars coming out (not of the closet LOL) saying AIDS (as it wasn't then known as the HIV virus as was inevitably picked up after syptoms had developed from the virus to full blown AIDS. Organised religous homophobes were all to readily spouting that this virus was Gods pay back for homosexuality as it was forbidden in thr bible. That made me SOOOO angry I cannot express my fury even to this day. As a non confrontational person it is a total rarity for me to cause friction, however, I remember Johovah's Witnessess coming to my door going on about AIDS as it was followinng the Ian DRury 'Don't Die Of Ignorance' TV night devoted for one whole night attempting to raise public awareness of the virus. I allowed the JW's to spew frth their vitriol, and told them my interpretation was a lovig god who would rather see two people in a loving stable commmitted relatonship than some of the hetrosexual shams in existence. Then I disclosed my daughters heritage with her gay godfathers and peromptly frog marched them out of my house. They disgusted me so much I felt contaminated. I also felt they were utilising a small minority to build on other people's ignorance and fears, and in effect they prescibed their religion as 'safety from this scourge of society. Uuuuggghhhh! It still makes me shudder.
Also haven't checked but whilst wrking for the gay deputy head in the primary school I was on TOTP with Frankie GTH singing 2 Tribed and Holly ripping up a copy of the Sun newspaper. He was lovely and did an autograph for my daughters gay godfather who was literally obsessed with him LOL "To closet Queen Paul" Lots of love Holly. I am not sure if he is also included in your list so I will check now, but if not please consider adding him. Also not sure if you have included George Melly who was openly bisexual> I was engaged to his nephew and I do believe that when I bought my Muj the marc Almond autobiography Marc mentioned that he was hard to fend off! LOL.
Anyway I will lave you to it my darling as you are doing a great job, just some quick suggestions. I can also name a few band members from the 60's who were gay that I worked with so any more info please feel free to email me.
Toodle pip! x

7:19 pm  
Blogger Dee Dee said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:25 pm  
Blogger Dee Dee said...

Sorry nother typo I meant 80's not 60's! LOL x

7:27 pm  
Blogger Melany Flemmings said...

great... I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. I appreciate this task for sharing this information. Hope, you keep updating it very frequently.

hotel palomar atlanta

1:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home